The 2018 Westpac Champion Business Awards recognise the excellence, innovation, and success of businesses and not-for-profit organisations in the Canterbury region for the 2017 calendar year.
The following information has been established to provide you with details on the categories available to enter and helpful tips for answering the questions being asked on the entry form. Many previous entrants have remarked on the simplicity of the entry process and it being a good discipline for the following reasons:
To enter the awards, you must:
- An opportunity to focus on your business by identifying your core strengths, competitive advantages, and any areas for further improvement
- An opportunity to review and document your achievements and milestones over the previous calendar year
- Helps create new levels of motivation and enthusiasm for the organisation by getting staff involved in the entry process
- Be registered with the New Zealand companies Office or be a registered Charity
- Not be under investigation by any New Zealand or international statutory body (e.g. ACC, New Zealand Police, Health and Disability Commission, Inland revenue)
Before you start your entry read our helpful tips here
CATEGORIES, ENTRY QUESTIONS AND SCORING
- Each category has a different set of questions that follow a similar structure
- You are eligible to enter up to TWO categories
- The questions and scoring for each category are listed below
All entrants will be asked to include the following:
Activity Summary - 20-word summary of your key business activity or purpose.
Business Description - 100 word summary describing the purpose of your business. This description should reflect how your business fits into the category you have chosen.
This information will be used if you become a finalist.
- Please select the size of your business, based on the employee numbers that apply to your organisation for the majority of the 2017 calendar year.
- Full-time contractors are also considered as full-time employees (FTEs). If you are a national or international organisation, the size you select should be based on your Canterbury staffing levels.
- Community Impact entrants: Please ensure that if you are a charity entering the Small Enterprise category you have less than 15 FTEs and an annual charitable turnover under $700,000.
Click on each category below to view the questions and entry information for that category.
*Our Export and Innovation Categories are supported by ExportNZ Canterbury and New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, who have collaborated to align their regional and national awards programmes for the next two years.
Finalists in the Emerging and Medium/Large Export Categories, plus Exporters from the Innovation Category, are automatically entered into the New Zealand International Business Awards (NZIBA), New Zealand’s premier business awards programme celebrating export success and international capability amongst New Zealand businesses.
Up to 35 business and community leaders judge the awards independently. Judges are asked to identify any potential conflict of interest from an entrant list, if a judge has a conflict with an entrant in a particular category they will be removed from judging that category.
There are two rounds of judging – one to determine finalists from all entries, and one to determine winners from finalists. Judging is completed online, judges are asked to score each question.
Scoring – each category has different questions. To see the scoring refer to the entry questions above.
Once judges have completed scoring all scores are then tallied by the online system, this will then identify in round 1 who the finalists are and then in round 2 who the winners are. Judges scores are based solely on the information submitted in the official entry form submitted by the business.
Final results are then audited to verify the impartiality and accuracy of the judging process. Once the winners have been confirmed at the end of the judging for round 2, the judges will be notified of the winners and will be asked to vote for the overall 'Westpac Champion Supreme' winner for the Small Enterprise and Medium/Large Enterprise businesses. Please note you must win your category to be eligible for the Westpac Champion Supreme Award.